Friday, March 2, 2012

The Waiting Game

Earlier in the week @motherventing blogged about how she can’t take a compliment.  It’s taken me this long to remember my answer to the question she posed at the bottom of said blog: “what was the last compliment you received?”

It was this: “you are a patient man”.  I rather liked that one, and I think I accepted it by mumbling something unintelligible and largely non-committal, probably including the word “thanks” but not a direct acknowledgement of the compliment.  Then I changed the subject.  I think it is fairly usual for us to be overcome with Britishness where compliments are concerned.  But, despite my none too eloquent acceptance speech (thank goodness I will never have to accept an Oscar) I was actually really rather pleased with the compliment.

Now I’ve gone and ruined it.  I don’t feel patient at all.  I feel fed up, and bored.  I don’t want there to be (probably) another five and a half weeks until the baby arrives.  More if he’s late. 

Of course I’m not suggesting I’d prefer him to be premature, as wonderful and special as those early arriving babies are.  I’d just like to wake tomorrow and find that the world had slipped into a convenient time warp during the night and left me with no more waiting.  Maybe it could be something to do with Dr Who.  Or a DeLorean.  Or Stephen Hawking.

I still enjoy the things I’ve been enjoying throughout the pregnancy; feeling the kicks and punches of the little guy as he enjoys his pre-birth aerobic classes, reading about what developments are going on as the weeks pass, acquiring all the teeny tiny clothes and, most of all, going to bed at night and knowing that the time I wake up will be dictated by my alarm clock and not the cries of a newborn. 

I’m still waiting, because I have no choice, but if someone says I’m a patient man before the birth I’ll be forced to disagree.  I just hope it’s a quality I regain once the baby is born!

6 comments:

  1. This time seems to drag, however it's a really important time for you two as a couple. Your family unit will never be the same again, enjoy each other in these last few weeks, and make your missus feel really special.

    And sleep. Because in about 6 weeks time, you'll never sleep again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think I'm failing at the making her feel special part tbh, need to up my game!

      Everyone keeps mentioning sleep too, it can't be that bad, surely... *blissful ignorance*

      Delete
  2. How well I remember that feeling! Both mine were nearly two weeks late and I lived in a limbo world with a stomach the size of a nuclear warhead. I have sad news for you: the more kids you have and the older they get the less patience you have, especially at night when they're nude wrestling in the bath and your Beer Moment is delayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad news indeed, especially about the delay of the beer moment!

      I really hope ours isn't late, Mrs L is already starting to get toward the uncomfortable stage and I don't like to see her struggling.

      Delete
  3. Great post. If you're bored I recommend getting a few box sets in to watch before the baby arrives. My wife and I were halfway through the third series of 24 when her waters broke and we didn't watch another episode for 6 months! Congratulations by the way, it is a very magical time that awaits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, good call about the box sets, perhaps a bit of TV immersion is the way to go.

      Delete